Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Music to my ears

I just chose a topic off the top of my head for no apparent reason.  Just because I felt like it and had a little time to kill before tackling a few yukky jobs today.

So, music.  *Most* of us like music.  A lot of us love music.  And for some of us, it's our whole life.  I will never understand the latter though, as I think there are way too many more important things in life.  But having said that, yes... music can make our day or just make us feel good for a short or long while.

When I was younger, lets say between the ages of 15 and 30....  I was obsessed like quite a lot of young people would and will get.   But let's go back even further than 15 just for a second.  I would turn on the radio every chance I could just to listen to some music.  Back then it was 1970's stuff, some kitsch and some great and some not so wonderful.  It all mattered though, just because it was music that was going into my ears.  

So then came the 80's music.  My friends and I would go clubbing and had a great time dancing to music with whatever was in at the time, we'd love it even if it wasn't the best sound.  Heck, it was MUSIC AND IT WAS IMPORTANT

Then somewhere after the mid 80's, a work mate introduced me to music that I had never heard before and sounded quite intreging and so different to what I was used to, I got hooked straight away.  I instantly fell in love with The Smiths for starters.  Then Depeche Mode.  Then New Order.  Then The Sundays.  And the list went on and I could see a pattern... all these artists came from the U.K.

Then came the 90's.  I was still loving my U.K. music but the artists I loved were producing less songs.  90's music for me was a bit of a blur, because I can't really think of specific artists that changed my life all that much.  Yes, there was some nice music, but there was also a lot of music that one needed to forgot!

Somewhere after that, music got less important for me because.... well.... simply because of life and the other things it had to offer.  My love for it was still there of course but it wasn't the first thing that I thought of everyday.  Then less and less.  The truth is that I still adore music.... but in a different way than back then which is a little tough for me to describe.

Today I can reflect back and know what type of artists I truly loved and still love.  These few are still high on my list of favourties, but in no particular order apart from the first one;

Depeche Mode
The Smiths
The Sundays
Seal
David Bowie
Heart
Prefab Sprout
Midge Ure (Ultravox)
Tears for Fears
Iceheart
Alan Parsons Project
David Sylvian (Japan)

This list isn't the end all of course, but you sort of get the gist of what I'm into.


Now that I've got my music thoughts and chatter out of the way, I can show you a couple of collectables that I picked up yesteryear.



Stunning little crystal vase found for just $2.  How can one not love this? 






Gorgeous little Quartz pineapple clock and if my memory serves me well, it was either $5 or $6.  Just one of those things I had to have!