Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sunday

Today's a good day to show you my BEST FREEBIE FOUND... EVER!!!  Or at least for this year.
I was 'free picking' with my mother about a month back, when suddenly I spotted a box which had a dinnerware picture on it and a very interesting brand name too.  A lot of the times there won't be whatever it states on the outside of the box - and logic tells us that there aren't a lot of crazy people out there disposing of certain things, good things, useful things, pretty things, possibly things that are worth a lot or at least a little.

I quickly peaked inside the box before throwing it in the car and I did see some kind of ceramic in there.  So instead of throwing it in the car, I placed it carefully and I was pleased that it had some weight to it also.  I was literally salivating and almost foaming at the mouth thinking about what could have been in that box while driving home.

I could not get into the house quick enough with that box.  I opened it up and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  A whole dinner set consisting of 16 pieces and I could tell they hadn't been out of the box because of the way it was packed.  Either that or it was taken out once and replaced very carefully.  Absolutely no scratches or wear to be found on any of the pieces.  As perfect as they come and it felt like I had just purchased this lovely product from the store.

There it was.... all sitting prettily in front of me.  Beautiful Royal Doulton fine china with the Poetic Rose design; bowls, cups and saucers.  'Why on earth?' is all I could think of.  But boy was I glad I was in the right spot at the right time that day.  I don't know much about the 'Doulton Everyday' series but something tells me that this set is definitely pre-Gorden Ramsay.  I googled but didn't find much of what I now proudly own and that also tells me that there aren't a lot of them around.  Now that's what I call a good days free picking!






Dated 1996...