Sunday, July 17, 2011

All about free cane

Just over a year ago I picked up two cane chairs that were being trashed by one of our neighbours.   On close inspection, they looked like they could do with a varnish or a couple of coats of paint.  I've yet to decide which.  Why am I waiting so long to do that?  Because I'm 'weathering' them.  You heard me... 'weathering' them.  If you leave something outside for long enough, preferable with rain and sun for about a year you'll see that the old varnish or paint will start to peel off.  This is the environmentally friendly way of doing it, if you're in not rush of course.  Well I think it's nearly time because most of the old varnish has fallen off as far as I can see.  Now, new varnish or paint?  And if I choose paint, what colour?  Oh, the devastation of having to choose only one!  Those cushions are really ugly, so I'll be sewing up some pretty new covers in a nice pale blue colour.  Well I've just answered my own question, haven't I?  I think I'll coat them with varnish unless I find a nice enough blue paint.




So.... then about 4 months ago I snapped up this small cane table!  Unfortunately there is not top and I'm guessing it was glass because of the 4 rubber stoppers on top and the former owners accidentally smashed it and then decided to trash the whole table.  It won't be too difficult to find a top, whether it's glass or wood - I really don't mind.  This could do with a little weathering too, I guess.

 



Finally, at around the same time my friend Tracy gave me a sweet cane chair which she had saved from a trash heap.  She got a little bored with it so she kindly passed it onto me.  It sits in the house because she's pretty.  Yay!