Sunday, April 10, 2011

A little good news on a dreary day.

Good news is rare for all of us these days, isn't it?

I received some this morning and although it was a small piece of news, it made my day.  My bank has finally taken away the majority of their banking (including internet) fees.  As far as I can tell, the only fee they have is the coin counting & depositing fee at 5% of the coin amount which I've never needed to do.

So what's the catch, I asked my husband?  No bank has no fees, so there must be some hidden fees somewhere - I've yet to find them if they exist.  How are they making their money now, with virtually no fees from their customers?  Hubby replied 'furg knows'.  (We have our own kind language that we share, but what couple doesn't?)

So, we finally have a bank that has virtually no fees.  I never thought I'd see the day and I'm still a little apprehensive and want to find out for sure so I'll be visiting my bank in the very near future to see if they are as fantastic as they are making out to be.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy my good news.

Onto something different... Wool!

I have a section in my work room that is overflowing with yarn.  I also have a section the bedroom wardrobe which is overflowing with yarn.  Then there is under the bed... and the cabinet in dining room.  It's getting out of hand and I can't stop.  I'm not talking a shopping bag or two full in each room, I'm talking 9 or 10 bags and possibly more!  Soon I'll be throwing out food from the kitchen pantry to store yarn.  Yarn is like a drug for me and unless you're a knitter, you will not understand.  I have the bad fairy telling me that it's ok, you'll find more spaces around the house to hide it in and nobody will be the wiser.  Then I have the good fairy telling me to sell it and make a pretty penny from it all. 

Sell my yarn?? No way and no how... or at least for now.  I have a lot of vintage yarn without moth nibbles - thank you very much.  I'd never buy moth nibbled yarn because it's useless and chances are if you see a nibble on the outside of the ball, there will be a few on the inside.  So before buying, checking it thoroughly is a must.  Then I have yarn that's just old, maybe between 5 - 10 years old.  Obviously discontinued and cannot be found anywhere unless it's hiding in some other yarn hoarders home.  Then I have small amounts of the newer stuff left over from previous knitting jobs.  How can I get rid of them?  They have sentimental value because I made a pretty penny from those!  With more knitting work coming my way, this means more yarn in my stash and it's a bit worrying.

 And of course I find most of my older yarn from the good old op shop so who can pass up such great bargains?  Not me.  I have enough yarn to keep going for 20 years or so.  But I love it and wouldn't change my habit for the world.  It gives me great pleasure to buy and knit with it.  And that's all that counts.  

Approximately 500g of Patons f.d.k (part cotton, part acrylic) for $5 and 350g of Passionknit (part wool, part acrylic) for $6.