Sunday, August 7, 2011

Free Clock & Paper Shredder

I scored a free Seiko Quartz pendulum clock with chime in new condition last week!  Why was it free, you ask?

Simply because it wasn't in working order and the owner mentioned that it wasn't worth getting it fixed because it would probably cost too much.  The clock itself is worth around $200 new (depending where you live).  And the only reason why I grabbed it is because my darling hubby can fix just about anything.

Well, not this time my friends.  The clock guts look a little frightening and we'd probably have to buy a completely new movement for it.  'Oh, my heart hurts' is what I thought when he mentioned that.
The last thing I want to do is spend a small fortune on something I picked up for free.  And my usual rule of thumb is ; do not spend more than $10 to fix (or add) something that was for free.

So my idea is this.... unscrew the long bottom part and use it as a normal clock, because I do have a stack of normal clock movements.  Not as pretty of course, but at least it will work.  The photos were taken before I cleaned the glass, hence the smudgy yuk on the lower glass.





So, as I was just about to leave that lovely gentleman's house, he then passed on a non working paper shredder!  Well, at least darling hubby fixed that quite easily!